What You Need to Know About Edirne
Edirne is a historical city and has maintained its importance and value throughout history. It is known that Edirne was founded by the Thracians who migrated from Central Asia and settled here in the ancient times. Later, Alexander the Great incorporated these places into the vast borders of the Macedonian Empire. Later, these lands, which were dominated by the Romans, fell to the share of Eastern Byzantium when the Roman Empire was divided into two in 395.
One of the Roman Emperors, II.The city, which was zoned as if it had been re-established by Hadrian, was named (Hadrianapolis) in his name. in 586, the Avar Turks besieged this place, but returned before they could take it. The Bulgarian Turks managed to capture the city in 914. This city, which later passed to Byzantium again and was besieged by the Pecheneg Turks for the second time in 1050 and 1078, was finally conquered by I in 1361. After being conquered by Sultan Murat, it became the main city of the Ottoman Empire and remained the capital for 92 years until Istanbul was conquered in 1453. During these years, it has also experienced the most glorious days of its history.
Edirne was a province under the Beylerbeyi of Rumelia under the name of “Pasha Sanjak” during the Ottoman Empire. The headquarters of the Beylerbeylik was located in Sofia. Edirne was known as the university city of the empire. XVII. The city, which became one of the few largest cities in the world in the century, became the XVIII. The century has entered a period of decline. two major fires in 1745 and 1751 largely destroyed Edirne.
On August 22, 1829, the Russians entered the city and stayed for several months, which was the first invasion disaster that Edirne suffered.
January March 20, 1887, Edirne was again the scene of 13 months of Russian occupation, March 26, 1913, Bulgarians for four months, and in the 1920s Greeks for two years of occupation. Today, the city of Edirne, which has the border gates of our country that open to Europe by road, was liberated from enemy occupation on November 25, 1922.